Post Operative Home Care
When your pet goes home:
- You will need to monitor the incision to ensure normal healing. Before your pet leaves the clinic, we will show you what the incision looks like. The incision should stay clean and dry.
- Do not allow your pet to lick or chew the incision.
- Your recovering pet needs rest – no running or jumping until the incision has completely healed, which is after 14 days. Excessive activity can lead to complications such as bleeding and infection.
- Never remove your pet's elizabethan collar or medical pet shirt until directed by a veterinary professional.
- Administer pain relief medications according to directions.
Call the clinic if:
- The incision opens, becomes swollen or develops a discharge
- Your pet has any vomiting, diarrhea or lack of an appetite
- Your pet is experiencing any abnormal behavior.